Re: Question for Bill Allombert: independence

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 01:01:36AM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:45:35PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Hi Bill,

> > You write in your platform that

> >   -- I am independent, so I will be able to represent all the developers.

> > What is it that you're independent from that other candidates aren't, and
> > how exactly does independence help you "represent" developers?

> There are about one thousand Debian developers and we are a very diverse
> community. If your work in Debian is too focused on one aspect you will
> not be able to see the point of view of the others developers.  It is
> important the DPL has a large view to balance the interest of every one.

I'm sorry, I don't feel that you've answered my question.  In your platform,
you've specifically claimed that your "independence" is a reason developers
should vote for *you*, i.e., instead of the other candidates.  I want to
know what you think makes the other candidates less "independent" than you
are -- are they accountable to someone other than the Debian Project?

The only reading of this comment that makes sense to me is that you're
saying the other candidates are going to be biased because of allegiances
they've developed through working on Debian.  I guess that's possible, but I
don't think the absence of such allegiances is /independence/, I think it's
/uninvolvement/, so I'd like to understand what you think these biases are
that the other candidates will be unable to overcome, and why you think
you'll be more free of such biases than they will.

FWIW, I do appreciate your holistic approach to upgrade testing, and think
it contributed positively to the quality of the sarge release.  Perhaps this
is part of what you mean by independence, i.e., taking a big-picture
approach as opposed to being focused on one's own personal packages?  But
again, I see many of the other candidates as also having worked on
big-picture stuff in Debian, and think they're capable of doing so as DPL as
well.

Thanks,