Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:02:20PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> > Though Martin 'Joey' Schulze as stable release manager presents lists of
> > packages that are accepted into the next stable point release on a
> > regular basis, they normally are not released "roughly two months after
> > the last update" (which is the official plan).
> >
> > Do you know why this doesn't work as planned? What would you do to
> > make regular point releases possible?
>
> The biggest part of the reason here that actually doing the releases
> take a fair bit of work to implement with the current infrastructure.

?!?

> Changes are currently being implemented to improve the handling of
> proposed-updates, in order to have those point releases happing more

Could you explain how the changes could help providing a stable update
mor often, when...

> easily. It'll still require an ftp-master to find the time to do it, and
> there can be any number of reasons why nobody finds the time to do it --

...there's still an ftp-master needed and ftp-master is not devoting time
to this task?

> Debian being volunteer-driven as it is. I personally don't think it's a
> huge issue if those point releases are not 100% regular, because for the
> majority it's security updates, but it's still good to have them not too
> far apart, esp. for those updates that are not also already distributed
> via security.debian.org. With significantly less effort required each
> time from the side of ftp-master, I think stable point releases can
> happen more regularly. There can be other ways to improve too, but not

> by direct intervention from the DPL role -- a DPL should not want to
> micro-manage.

That's a great answer.

For the record:

Feb 6th: SRM sends mail to ftp-master trying to negotiate a timeline
Mar 5th: SRM sends another mail since nobody replied to the old one
Mar 5th: aj complains that nobody answered his mail from Feb 22 about
         modificating proposed-updates

Still no word from ftp-master if or when the next stable update can
be implemented.  As usual, the SRM is left in vain and pain.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a good idea.