Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:02:20PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Though Martin 'Joey' Schulze as stable release manager presents lists of
> packages that are accepted into the next stable point release on a
> regular basis, they normally are not released "roughly two months after
> the last update" (which is the official plan).
>
> Do you know why this doesn't work as planned? What would you do to
> make regular point releases possible?

The biggest part of the reason here that actually doing the releases
take a fair bit of work to implement with the current infrastructure.
Changes are currently being implemented to improve the handling of
proposed-updates, in order to have those point releases happing more
easily. It'll still require an ftp-master to find the time to do it, and
there can be any number of reasons why nobody finds the time to do it --
Debian being volunteer-driven as it is. I personally don't think it's a
huge issue if those point releases are not 100% regular, because for the
majority it's security updates, but it's still good to have them not too
far apart, esp. for those updates that are not also already distributed
via security.debian.org. With significantly less effort required each
time from the side of ftp-master, I think stable point releases can
happen more regularly. There can be other ways to improve too, but not
by direct intervention from the DPL role -- a DPL should not want to
micro-manage.

It's not something I see as a priority to improve though, I don't think
the current situation is unaccepteable or so. Our real releases are much
more important. As DPL, I want to focus most of my energy on a limited
amount of areas, better do a few things good, than a lot of them only a
bit.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar