Re: Question to all candidates about the NM process

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:06:37PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Though there are often threads about problems with it on our mailing
> lists, the NM process hasn't changed much in the last three or four
> years. What do you think about the most common problems (takes too
> long, is asking for too broad knowledge)?
>
> Do you think that we need to change the NM checks?

The main issue is that we are unable to integrate new contributors fast
enough.

Woody was released in 2002, there were 939 Debian developers, and
around 934 unique maintainers names.

Now we have 972 Debian developers and around 1567 unique maintainers
names.

So the number of people contributing officially to Debian has increased
by 50%, but the number of new Debian developers is a little above the
number which retired from Debian.

So we should try to do better, but processing more applicants mean
more work for the NM team hence we need more Debian developers willing
to be involved in the NM process.

My own opinion is that if an applicant is doing a sizable job in Debian
already, they should be exempted of much of T&S. They have shown the
skill to do the work they are more likely to do anyway, and they will
have time to learn new skills as they need them. That might speed up the
process a bit.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.