Re: Question for all candidates about their Plattform pages

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:25:49AM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> Maybe, it is not right, asking here as I am not a DD at all, but I
> wonder about the web presentation of candidates.

I think it's also for non-DD contributors important who's the DPL. So if
you want to bring up issues you feel are important, you're more than
welcome.

> 1. One of the candidates uses pictures to illustrate his platform,
> but does not give an alternative description for lynx users and blind
> people - accident?

It'd be quite far-fetched to think for any of the candidates that would
be intentional, I don't presume malice with most of my fellow candidates.

> 2. One of the candidates uses font tag (which is not valid HTML
> strict) and makes text not visible in graphical browsers due to the
> not noticible difference to the background. The hidden text is shown
> in lynx. - accident?

Unlikely.

> In all other plattforms there are only minor validation problems that
> can be corrected easily without making a noticible difference. But as
> far as I can see, none of the pages really was valid HTML strict and
> none (or nearly none) uses semantic tags only, which would be better
> for people who can "see" only the text content.

Personally, while I do think it's laudeable to do our best for standards
compliance for the best results for any type of web reader, I feel that
it's foremost the most important to achieve what you want to achieve,
and while things like semantic-tags-only would be an ideal world, in
practice, even using one or two non-semantic tags won't prevent
conveying the content of a page. It's the text that matters, after all,
especially with such things as a platform. The tags are only an aide,
and are not critical (c.f. my only sin with my platform, I used <emph>,
which doesn't exist -- and that you fixed to <em> after noticing that
and informing me).

While I like being a perfectionist in a lot of areas, it's undoable to
be one in avery aspect, so one needs to be a pragmatist in others. Time
is a precious resource.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar