Number of candidates/re-election (was: Re: questions for all candidates)

Hrm, platforms seem to be up (mostly), so I guess that makes it "answer
questions" time.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 02:01:58AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> 1. The past two years have seen higher numbers of candidates standing for DPL
>    than in the past. [...] what do you think about having seven candidates in
>    this election?

I think it's largely a good thing; though I think the vote software will need
some changes to cope with more than eight options, at least in its reporting.

>    Is it a healthy thing that we have so many developers willing
>    to sit in the hot seat, or is it a sign of fragmentation in the project
>    and a lack of strong leadership?

There looks like there's a lot of commonality in many of the platforms;
so I don't think it's fragmentation. Personally, I'd rather have a bunch
of good people competing for every positon -- and I think if we can
maintain that level of interest and participation, even as we improve
other things and provide other ways to participate, it'll be very healthy.

> 2. If you are elected, do you currently think you would be interested in
>    running for re-election next year?  Why or why not?

I expect so -- the details might change, but I expect Debian will still
be interesting then, and will still have problems I could help work on, so
my rationale would be the same.

Cheers,
aj