Re: GFDL GR, vote please!

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:22:12AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Second, my proposal doesn't revoke automatically the decision of the
> > release team to remove the GFDL-documents from main.  If my proposal
> > wins, it is the release team who will have to change this decision
> Frankly, I have no idea what the release team is expected to do in this
> circumstance.

Well, prior to the editorial amendments, the plan was drop non-DFSG-free
docs/firmware anyway, in spite of them not being "software" and hence
not required to be dropped anyway. You could do something similar and
say "well, they might not violate the DFSG, but that's a minimal bar,
and we're going to set a higher one, so GFDL docs are still out. suckers!"

I can't see any reason to do that, though.

> In spite of the Project Secretary's determination that this
> ballot option requires a 3:1 supermajority because it modifies the DFSG,
> given that I can't reconcile these claims that the GFDL always complies with
> the DFSG with any (IMHO) reasonable reading of the DFSG themselves, I am
> left without a suitable consistent interpretation that I can apply in the
> exercise of my own duties.

The interpretation being proposed seems to be "the DFSG allows certain
restrictions on modifications, including the GPL's interactivity
notification stuff and the GFDL's unmodifiable sections, with others
potentially to be determined later". That seems reasonably easy to apply:
deal with the existing ones as is, and assume there'll be another vote
in future should any more come up.

> I guess I could:
> - have an existential crisis

Easiest action would seem to be to indicate clearly and up-front that
the resolution will make GFDL docs not be an issue for inclusion in
the archive or the release. In so far as that's yours (and ftpmaster's)
decision, that doesn't seem to require anyone else's help to clarify.

I have to say I continue to be unimpressed by the "let's vote that the
GFDL is ok, though that may or may not mean it's /actually/ ok!" attitude.
Uncertainty isn't a good thing.

Cheers,
aj