Re: GR Proposal 2: Declassification of -private

#include <hallo.h>
* Matthew Garrett [Fri, Nov 18 2005, 04:13:35PM]:
> Monroe Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
> > I don't think we have any moral right and barely any legal standing
> > to publish messages which were made to a private mailing list under
> > the current regime. The veto option doesn't cover this if we have
> > lost contact with the author(s). Please add:
>
> Any post to -private is made with the knowledge that anyone in the world
> could, at some later point, become a developer and read that email. I
> don't see how this would actually change the situation.

Sure. The same way the one can just become a president and use nukes to
destroy the world.

I fully agree with Monroe - WHEN an author writes to
-private, s/he declares his wishes to expect this information to be kept
confidential and in some countries s/he may have even guaranteed rights.

Instead, most people in this discussion think it is okay to override
this right because of ... what actually? Either nothing or not being
accessible for few weeks?

I do not see any reason for this GR since I cannot remember any serious
request to make -private mails public where this action would really
have been beneficial for the outside world.

Eduard.