Re: GR Proposal: Declassification of -private

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Thus, I propose that the Debian project resolve that:
>
> ---
> In accordance with principles of openness and transparency, Debian will
> seek to declassify and publish posts of historical or ongoing significance
> made to the Debian Private Mailing List.
>
> This process will be undertaken under the following constraints:
>
>   * The Debian Project Leader will delegate one or more volunteers
>     to form the "debian-private declassification team".
>
>   * The team will automatically declassify and publish posts made to
>     that list after three years, with the following exceptions:
>
>     - the author and any named recipients of messages being reviewed
>       will be contacted, and allowed between four and eight weeks
>       to comment;
>
>     - posts that reveal financial information about individuals or
>       organisations other than Debian, will have that information
>       removed;
>
>     - posts of no historical or other relevance, such as vacation
>       announcements, or posts that have no content after personal
>       information is removed, will not be published, unless the author
>       requests they be published;
>
>     - publication of posts that would reveal otherwise unpublished
>       security vulnerabilities in currently supported releases of a
>       Debian distribution will be deferred;
>
>     - requests by the authors of posts, or others who would be affected
>       by the publication of the post, will be taken into account by
>       the declassification team;
>
>     - the list of posts to be declassified will be made available to
>       developers two weeks before publication, so that the decisions of
>       the team may be overruled by the developer body, if necessary.

I would suggest that declassification of posts affected by a GR be put
on hold if a proposal is made for a GR while the GR process takes
place [since the absolute minimum time that a GR can take is 2 weeks.]
4.2.2.1 does cover this, but getting 10 developers to sponsor on short
notice may be difficult.

In any case, I second this proposal with or without the amendment
suggested above.

Don Armstrong

--
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves
exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves