Re: Denied vote and the definition of a DD

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:21:25 +0100, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org (va, manoj)> wrote:
>> b) show me, in person, two picture ID's issued by a governemt
>> that demonstrate who you are, and match the signed the signed
>> picture in a)

> Why two ID cards?

	Because that is the criteria I use to sign keys -- and I
 figure that the least I can do before accepting ballots from
 potential strangers is to have them meet the same criteria that I
 have for signing their key.

> What if some german guy only has their "Personalausweis", but no
> passport (no plans to leave the European Union, the passport is
> quite expensive) and no drivers license?

	Gow do you suppose they come to meet me to tell me their vote?

> Or if a US citizen only has a social security card (and no drivers
> license, and lives in a state that does not issue these famous
> "non-drivers licences")?

	Well, they can get their key in the ring ;-). However, if this
 is such a hardship, here is a modification of the protocol:

 1)
        a) Have a key in the key-ring
        b) be present in the LDAP db in the group for Debian
           developers
     or
 2)
        a) provide a signed email from the DAM or the DPL stating that
           the key with a given ID and finger print belongs to a DD
     or
 3)
   Two things must be accomplished: firstly, one needs authoritative,
   and conclusive, evidence that you are a developer. Since DAM is the
   one who has been granted responsibility for adding people to
   Debian, and the NM team collectively was given the authority to
   boot DD's out, or the  DPL, since the DAM is his delegate, these
   are the authoritative sources of information about who is, or is
   not, a DD. Secondly, one needs to prove that the person telling one
   about the preferred ballot is the person mentioned before; so
   whatever it takes to convince the secretary. The current incumbent
   has well defined policies for identity verification, so that is what
   is followed.

        a) Present me with a picture ID signed by the DAM, or the DPL,
           or the whole NM team, stating that the person named, and
           whose picture is being signed, is indeed a DD.
        b) show me, in person, two picture ID's, at least one issued
           by a governemt that demonstrate who you are, and match the
           signed the signed picture in a)
        c) tell me, personally, what your vote is during the voting
           period. Be prepared to do the same with an auditor is the
           vote is ever audited.

	If none of these three sets of requirements can be met, then
 unfortunately, there is no way of demonstrating that the ballot
 presented is legal and should be considered as belonging to someone
 who is franchised in Debian.

	Now, hilarious thought this thread has been, I think we have
 beaten the horse dead, don't you think?

	manoj
--
Any given program, when running, is obsolete.