Re: Why vote for DPL only?

Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@debian.org> wrote:

> If a DPL would do that, he would be accused of fascism and who knows
> what else...

The constitution explicitly allows the DPL to do that. The DPL is
elected as a leader, not as someone with no power at all. If you don't
trust someone to use the powers the constitution gives them, don't elect
them in the first place.

> You're putting words in my mouth. I don't imply 'reevaluating' people
> every year, i'm saying that it _should_ be possible for any developer
> to "run for office" so to speak, for any position and not always,
> just when there is someone that wants to. Other than the DPL this is
> not possible right now. You're seeing a half-empty glass, I'm seeing
> a half-full. You're worried of people getting fired for no apparent
> reason, when I've never implied anything like that.

So every time someone decides someone else isn't doing a good enough job
and gets some support for that, they can trigger an election? I don't
see this as a good way to increase productivity.

> Your popularity contest point is also wrong. That's exactly what we
> (or rather the DPL candidates) are doing right now. And in any case,
> Debian is a community of people, which implies communication and in
> many cases personal relationships, even friendship. I have done many
> good friends in the project and I think this applies to everyone. On
> the other hand, I don't care if someone if the best developer ever,
> if he cannot get along with anyone in the project, imho, he does not
> belong here.

If their inability to get along with anyone in the project doesn't
impair their ability to get work done or justify their decisions, then I
think they belong in Debian.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org