Re: a question for all the candidates, but particularly Anthony Towns

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 04:24:39AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Do we need a procedure to deal with cases like this?  Should
> the QA team simply go ahead and devise one, as it did with the
> MIA problem?

I consulted Jeroen van Wolffelaar about how this works, currently. He
is the person within QA who deals with MIA and is therefor best
suited to answer it.

According to him MIA already occasionally checks if otherwise
active maintainers take good care of their packages. If they seem
to lack time to do their maintenance work properly Jeroen
contacts them directly and asks about the situation.  First he
might ask to maintain the package(s) better. If necessary he
might give an ultimatum for the maintainer to take some action
(maintain or orphan the package) and finally, if nothing happens,
he might look into further steps.  Untill now no such steps were
required. Usually the maintainer either cut down on the number of
packages or retired.

All this is done manually and extra care is taken if Debian
Developers do valuable work in other areas of the Project.