Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

Quoting Craig Sanders:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:41:35PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > The Debian Project,
> >
> > affirming its committment to principles of freeness for all works it
> > distributes,
> >
> > but recognizing that changing the Social Contract today would have grave
> > consequences for the upcoming stable release, a fact which does not
> > serve our goals or the interests of our users,
> >
> > hereby resolves:
> >
> > 1. that the amendments to the Social Contract contained within the
> >    General Resolution "Editorial Amendments To The Social Contract"
> >    (2004 vote 003) be immediately rescinded;
> > 2. that these amendments, which have already been ratified by the Debian
> >    Project, will be reinstated effective as of September 1, 2004 without
> >    further cause for deliberation.
>
> i propose an amendment that deletes everything but clause 1 of this proposal,
> so that the entire proposal now reads:
>
>    that the amendments to the Social Contract contained within the
>    General Resolution "Editorial Amendments To The Social Contract"
>    (2004 vote 003) be immediately rescinded.

Seconded.

It's not a question of opposing the previous choice but it's fair to
leave a chance to those who have not voted the first time (me included)
to express their disagreeement.

I have to say that when one needs to vote on a "change of a foundation
text", he needs to see a diff of the change and a set of rationale why
those changes were proposed. The absence of those elements directly led
to my decision to not vote... I've let people who had enough time to
have read the thread vote for me...

Furthermore our vote mechanism deals nicely with the existence of
several options and I see no reason why this amendment couldn't be
included in the vote.

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org