Re: Proposal: Keep non-free

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 22:33, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-02-24 17:11:09 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> >> I think it makes it even more important that we are clear and
> >> unambiguous
> >> in the message: "non-free is not part of the Debian operating
> >> system".
> > But forgetting what we told in section 5, about supporting our users
> > which need non-free.

The support for our users can be in different ways - does it
necessarily need to mean we provide a non-free archive?
(I think the irony would be that meta-infrastructure packages
will be developed that make the creation and maintenance of
non-free archives so much easier, thus we will have "apt-get
access" to much more non-free software, yet on the other hand
Debian would be truer to its DFSG roots.)

It is always difficult to change the status quo - given that
people start out with and build expectations. Attempt to mess
with people's expectations and we humans are easily upset.

On a more cynical note, to what extent do we support our users
"which need [pick anything unreasonable (eg. cheeseburgers,
grenades or s00p3r v146r4)]"?

The proposals are to move that line in the sand.

cheers
zen