Re: Proposal: Keep non-free

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 01:17:13AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-02-21 20:09:57 +0000 Stephen Stafford <ssta@linuxops.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I firmly believe that keeping non-free and contrib until such time as ALL of
> >the needs of our users can be met from main is a good thing.
>
> As you write it, this is an unreasonable demand: who judges it?

"who judges" is a trivially easy question to answer: "we all do".  when no
debian developer can be bothered producing a non-free package, that's
sufficient proof that there is no more need for non-free packages.

btw, it's not at all unreasonable to expect uninvolved third-parties (i.e. you
bigots) to mind their own business.  if you don't want to use or package
non-free, then don't...nobody is forcing you to - but quit trying to sabotage
other people's work.

the unreasonableness is entirely from the bigots & zealots who want to dump
non-free, regardless of the fact that some developers have put in significant
time and energy and regardless of the fact that some users need or want the
packages concerned, and regardless of the fact that many (most!) of the
packages in non-free are almost free, and come complete with source (the most
common restriction being a prohibition against sale or profit)

but we've been over these points before (again and again and again) - the
trouble is that anti-nonfree bigots just aren't interested in facts, all you're
interested in is pushing your barrow no matter how irrational it is.

craig