Re: Summary: Proposal - Rescind GR 2004-003

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:16:25AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:

Hi,

> Here is the list of rationale raised for this proposal:
>  * People can make mistake and should be allowed to correct it.
>  * This deserves to be an option on the ballet.
>  * Full impact assessment by Anthony Towns [3] revealed the hidden issues.
>  * We need to get the sarge out the door ASAP. [4]
>  * All other proposed GRs to get the sarge out are better than the
>    situation created by GR (2004-003).  But they still seem to put heavy
>    limitations on the past-sarge releases.  This proposal solves them
>    for good.

Are you sure about this? The problem is posed by RC issues which were
tagged sarge-ignore. This means that they would be ignored *only* for
sarge, and not allowed to remain after.

>  * Change of SC by GR (2004-003) was not clarification but a radical
>    change which subverts the original intent of the old SC.

So the original intent of the SC was to have non-free non-software in main?
I remember Bruce Perens saying the opposite (but I'm too lazy to search
where, so I may be in mistake). Have you got any reference which confirms
this interpretation?

Bye,

Guido