Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:45:18AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> i propose an amendment that deletes everything but clause 1 of this proposal,
> so that the entire proposal now reads:
>
>    that the amendments to the Social Contract contained within the
>    General Resolution "Editorial Amendments To The Social Contract"
>    (2004 vote 003) be immediately rescinded.

I second this proposal.

I definitely think that there's a problem with the GR, and the firmware (/doc/font) rave.
- the GR was not clear enough for many people, leading to lack of interest in the vote (20%, and a part of these 20% not even aware of the drastic changes concerned)
- it was NOT just an editorial change: firmwares are not clearly against DFSG as they can be viewed as piece of the connected hardware, *independent* from the architecture/OS (it's just a matter of transfering data in a flash RAM instead of having it on a ROM - are we going to ban hardware containing firmwares in RAM and not hardware containing firmwares in ROM?)

I also understand that it means rescinded an already voted GR, which will cause even more flamewars, and that the 3:1 rule should apply. But "we will not hide problems", isn't it ?.