Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

    Helen> I have never had a hostile experience with debian, but I
    Helen> still feel really unconfident when I interact with the
    Helen> debian community, even if it's only posting a bug report.
    Helen> I don't understand why this is so, but it's very real.
    Helen> Partly it's knowing that I'm going to be dealing with a man
    Helen> (almost certainly), and he may assume I don't know what I'm
    Helen> doing, and he may put me down or be condescending or unkind
    Helen> as a result.

I don't know you are how long you have been with Debian or what your
contributions are, but are you sure that this lack of confidence isn't
due to inexperience?

I know when a friend first installed Debian on my Linux computer,
years ago, I was really hesitant to file bug reports or say things on
the mailing lists (what if I am wrong? what if the issue is not
reproducible? what if I haven't given enough details? what if some of
the details I gave were misleading? what if the sky should fall? what
if ...?)

Then I considered the worst that could happen, I could make a total
fool of myself and nobody would appreciate me in this
community. Considering I was new to this community, that wouldn't be
any great loss, I would simply be back where I started from. Strangely
enough, this worst case never took place, and even stranger, I have
had a recent employer praise me based on some of the messages I have
sent. Now thats weird...

Then I see other family members (both male and female) who use private
email all the time to talk to friends, but it is a real struggle to
get any of them to file bug reports when they identify a
bug. Typically it is easier to use google to find information, but
nobody even thinks of sending an email to an expert in the field if
the required information cannot be found.

So I think there is a learning curve to get into Debian, regardless of
sex (I am Male); however, I find it hard to think of the issues I have
faced in the past since I have come so far. So, for example, it is
difficult for me to help others file bug reports, because to me, it
just comes naturally (now).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>