Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

> There would be very little practical benefit to dropping non free.

Yes, we agree there.

> That's not the same as saying that there would be very little practical
> impact [unless you ignore the impact on the users, and on the people who
> support non-free].

Let's spell it out:

Benefits
--------
- Perceived philosophical benefit in supporting only DFSG compliant
  software as a project.
- Small reduction in bandwidth, disk space, and cpu cycles on project's
  servers.
- Potential marketing benefit due to being "blessed" by the FSF.  (Some
  contend this would be temporary due to the finicky nature of the FSF
  leadership.)

Costs
-----
- Alienation of users who find changing their sources.list to be
  problematic.
- Alienation of users who think that we've violated their trust by changing
  the social contract mid-game.
- Increased effort on the part of developers who maintain non-free stuff
  due to th need for a parallel infrastructure - servers, webpages,
  bandwidth, bts, mailing lists, and maintenance of those services.
- WTF to do with contrib?

Feel free to add to either list.  I almost put "loss of functionality such
as support for certain hardware, japanese pdf readers" but technically
Debian does not contain those now.

> > There are tons of those already, many in wide use.  download.kde.org,
> > backports.org, and the bunk backport collection all come to mind.  I don't
> > see this as big stumbling block.
>
> Both of which represent far larger efforts than non-free.
>
> Or is your point that you think non-free should be a larger effort?

No, my point was that there are Debian developers already willing to
maintain parallel infrastructure on or above the level that would be
required by nonfree.org, so on the surface this doesn't seem like a
showstopper.  On the other hand, I'm not volunteering so apparently I'm not
allowed to say that ;-)

Later,
	Dale
--