Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:44:07PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > (BTW, in this proposed ballot, would the default option per the SRP be
> > "Further Discussion" or "Don't change social contract"?)

The default option for general resolutions is "Further Discussion",
the default option for DPL elections is "None of the Above".

> How are they distinguishable, given that we cannot force people to stop
> discussing it after the vote is over?

If "Don't change the social contract" wins, you know that the Debian
project has carefully considered the options, and found that the current
social contract is satisfactory and should not be changed. If "Further
discussion" wins, you know the Debian project is unsatisfied with its
consideration of the options up to this point.

On the former case, people who continue discussing it are highly likely to
be wasting their time. In the latter case, they're not.

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda