Re: [AMENDMENT BR3] GR: Disambiguation of Section 4.1.5 of the constitution

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:16:06 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> I propose the following amendment:

> - 5.2 The Foundation Documents are the works entitled "Debian
> - Social Contract" and "Debian Free Software Guidelines".
> + 5.2 The Foundation Document is the work entitled "Debian
> + Social Contract".

	I am rejecting this amendment to my proposal, however, I am
 seconding this as an independent proposal.  Due to sillyness in the
 constitution we may have to jump through hoops to get two related but
 independent proposals on a ballot.

	I feel it is important to give the full membership the choice
 between these two options.

	Please count this as a formal second.

> FSF's definition of Free Software --> Constitution
> Debian Free Software Guidelines   --> statutory law
> debian-legal discussions          --> case law

> (The above is admittedly wholly grounded on the U.S. legal system
> for its metaphorical value.)

	Given the direction the FSF is taking re freedom of software,
 I think we should consider creating our own position statement
 analogous to the constitution.  I do not hink we can rely on an
 external entity to provide the basis of our philosophy any longer.

	manoj
--
Idiot, n.: A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in
human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. Ambrose