Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

 Raul> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:21:29AM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
 >> I wonder what kind of majority is required to modify the Social Contract
 >> or the DFSG. I'ld expect them to have at least the same protection as
 >> the Constitution itself.

 Raul> In fact, the social contract has never been ratified under the
 Raul> constitution.  Informally, one of the things that Ian expected us to do
 Raul> with the constitution is ratify the social contract and existing policy.

 Raul> Unfortunately, we've never gotten around to that, and the exact status
 Raul> of the social contract with respect to the constitution is somewhat
 Raul> ambiguous.

 Raul> Prior discussions on this very issue [getting rid of non-free] have been
 Raul> so divisive that we wound up tabling the discussion in disgust.

	No, we actually went to having a GR proposed, wich is still
 alive, though currently on hold waiting for the voting GR.

 Raul> Personally, I think before we take up a vote about changing the
 Raul> social contract, we should take up a vote about what relation
 Raul> the constitution has to the social contract.  And, since that
 Raul> vote would mix supermajority and non-supermajority issues,
 Raul> before we tackle that we should fix the voting system so it is
 Raul> unambiguous about these kinds of mixed votes.

	Please see: http://www.debian.org/vote/2000/vote_0009
               and: http://www.debian.org/vote/2000/vote_0010
 These GR's are merely on hold, and shall be brought back to the table
 as soon as the voting mechanism has been fixed to deal with them.

 Raul> And, it's my fault that we don't have an adequate draft for fixing the
 Raul> voting system.  I'll try to submit one today.

	Thank you. As soon as your draft is in, I'll move to open the
 3 week discussion period.

	manoj
--
 There are more ways of killing a cat than choking her with cream.