Re: [CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT] Disambiguation of 4.1.5

On 09-Nov-00, 08:35 (CST), Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> >>"Peter" == Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:
>
>  >> 4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election
>  >>
>  >> 4.1. Powers
>  >>
>  >> Together, the Developers may:
>
>  >> 2. Amend this constitution, provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
>
>  >> +   5.2 Initially, the list of foundation Documents consists
>  >> +       of this document, The Debian Constitution, as well as the
>  >> +       documents known as the Debian GNU/Linux Social Contract and the
>  >> +       Debian Free Software Guidelines. The list of the documents
>  >> +       that are deemed to be "Foundation Documents" may be changed
>  >> +       by the developers provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
>
>  Peter> Is it wise to let amendments to the constitution be regulated by two
>  Peter> rules? Why not drop the first rule to improve maintainability.
>
> 	Where do you see two rules to regulate constitutional
>  amendments? One rules is for the constitution, the other rule is on
>  how to amend a totally separate list of Foundation documents.

In addition to B Buck's note that the constitution may be modified
either by 4.1.2 or by its presence on the list of foundation documents
I don't see the "totally separate list of Foundatoin documents". I see
a list that is in 5.2, which is part of the constitution, which may be
modified per 4.1.2.

Both problems may be resolved by changing 5.2 to simply

    5.2 The Foundation Documents are the Debian GNU/Linux Social
        Contract and the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

Since it's part of the constitution, it may be modified in the same way:
a GR to modify 5.2 that succeeds with a 3:1 majority.

Regardless of that, we probably need to get a consistent capitilazation:
is it "foundation Documents" or "Foundation Documents" or "Foundation
documents" (the first two are in the proposed 5.2, the last in Manoj's
comment)?

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read