Re: Wake on lan with RTL8111/8168B

On Monday 11 February 2013 06:27:57 assirati@nonada.if.usp.br wrote:
> I have an ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard with an onboard RTL8111/8168B network
> card. I want to enable wake on lan for this card. Wake on lan itself is
> workg when I call
>
> wakeonlan <mac address>
>
> from another machine, but when I shutdown the computer, the system powers
> down and about 5 seconds later it powers up again without any sending of
> magic packets. The effective result is therefore a reboot and not the
> wished power down.
>
> I wonder if anyone had the same problem?

Is this EFI BIOS? I experience a similar issue on a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
(rev 1.0) motherboard which has a RTL8168E network card (lspci reports the
wrong name for vendor:device 10ec:8168 rev 06).

I contacted Gigabyte using http://ggts.gigabyte.com/, but they have asked me
to try to reproduce this on Windows. I do not have such an installation laying
around for this machine, so that will be slightly more difficult to test. My
request for BIOS source code was also denied due to "the rule of firma".

What I have tried:
- Clear the PM_Status bit to stop asserting a wake-up:

      sudo setpci -v -s 06:00.0 CAP_PM+5.B=80
- Disabling wake-on-lan with `sudo ethtool -s eth0 wol d`. On the Ubuntu
3.5.0-34-generic kernel, the flag gets set to "d", but on resume it becomes the
default "g" again. IIRC, on Arch Linux with Linux 3.9.6-1, WOL stays disabled,
but then enabling it again did not work (MagicPacket did not trigger a wake-
up).

NOTE: as you experienced, a machine woken with WOL will restart on shutdown. I
experience the same behavior with suspend. That is, if a machine was woken
with WOL, after suspend it takes a few seconds before it decides to resume
again without any interaction.

NOTE2: WOL worked fine on older non-EFI AWARD BIOS versions, F12 and older. The
EFI BIOSes version U1h and U1l both have this WOL issue. Downgrading to AWARD
BIOS resolves the problem (but then I miss certain newer features).

Can you reproduce this WOL issue on other non-Linux OSes? (where WOL is
functioning of course) Please mention BIOS version as well.

Regards,
Peter

 PS. let me know if you need Realtek datasheets.