Re: Debian on 256MB PIII TabletPC

On 04/03/13 09:49 AM, Steven Grunza wrote:
Hello.  I would like to install Debian on a laptop with 256 MB of RAM.
Is this possible?  I was previously running Ubuntu but there are
problems in the Ubuntu X11 server code that cause the touchscreen to be
unusable.

I realize this system is _NOT_ going to be a performance machine.  I
plan on using it for text editing (in laptop mode using keyboard) and
taking handwritten notes (in slate mode) -- it's a TabletPC that used to
run Windows XP.  WinXP SP3 is now so large and slow it takes up to 5
minutes to load from a power-on (the system was developed and deployed
before there even was a service pack for WinXP).

I really like the EMR (electro-magnetic-resistive) pen on this device
and would like to make it usable again.

I know Fedora (at least version 17 and 18) has checks in place to
prevent installation on low memory systems.  Does Debian have a similar
restriction?

I was previously running Fedora 16 on much more capable hardware (Tecra
M4) but a catastropic system board failure has me trying to resurrect
this old TabletPC (Acer TravelMate C100).

I have Debian running on two low-spec'd laptops without issues. I'd suggest LXDE as a good Window manager for low-memory systems.

You can install Debian on almost anything however performance can be an issue depending on what you install. You can also look at the distros designed specifically for older hardware.