RE: can't install skype 4.1 in debian testing ; lost the working 4.0

> At Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:35:37 +0000,
> Claudius Hubig wrote:
> > Don’t use dpkg --force-architecture, but rather enable multi-arch as
> > detailed in the various how tos online. To get Skype 4.1 working via
> > multi-arch, you will need some packages from unstable, install them.
> > If dpkg complains about a missing package foo (such as libqtwebkit4),
> > do
> >
> > # apt-get install libqtwebkit4:i386
> >
> > to install the i386 variant of said package (the amd64 variant won’t
> > work with Skype i386).
>
> The problem is that that (installing `libqtwebkit4:i386') probably won't work:
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=676162>.  The workaround
> suggested by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz solves the problem.
>
> Francesco

Follow-up:  I was able to install Skype for Debian 4.1 on a Wheezy system with very little fuss or bother.  Sid repos were enabled and Sid multiarch is installed.  I used Gdebi, and it was able to download and install all the prerequisites and dependencies without issue, so I guess that the bugfix in the qtwebkit4 package has been made.

I guess I can't call it a Wheezy system, anymore. Qt, the libs in ia32-libs (and dependencies) and the build toolchain are now at Sid versions.  Now I will need to watch updates carefully if I want to restore it to a pure Testing state.  Otherwise, more and more of Sid will creep onto the machine.