Re: partitions - primary vs logical and bootability

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 05:07:20 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:51:29 -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:
>
>> You only get 4 primary partitions.  If you want any Logical partitions,
>> you have to have to make one of the primary partitions an Extended
>> partition, and put your Logical partitions inside that Extended
>> partition.
>>
>> So, in effect, your three Primary NTFS partitions have used up all the
>> primary partitions you can have if you want to use Logical partitions.
>>
>> As I see it, you have two options: . . .
>
> Another option is to put your linux partition in the Extended Logical
> partitions, then put LILO in MBR to chain boot Windows or your linux.
>
> I.e., LILO does not have the MS brain-dead limitation to only boot from
> primary partitions.

What I've tried and successful was, put the MBR from LILO into the MBR
sector on the disk,

 lilo -S /dev/null -M $MBR ext

then mark my linux partition in the Extended Logical partitions as
bootable, and put GRUB in its PBR, then chain boot *everything* from
there.

I.e., you do necessarily boot from LILO, just wipe out the brain-dead MS
MBR with it would be fine.

PS. for booting Q&As, I found bootland (now reboot.pro) extremely helpful.

HTH

cheers