Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

On Saturday 10 November 2012 18:46:09 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi Lisi,
>
> Am Samstag, 10. November 2012 schrieb Lisi Reisz:
> > I have been trying to get to grips with compiling a custom kernel.  I
> > have been shying away for too long.
> >
> > I am following Stephen's marvellous work, and had got this far:
> >
> > http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm#Unpack
>
> This appears to be really old.
>
> I suggest looking at
>
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/
>
> and "make-kpkg" from "kernel-package". These are the two approaches I know
> of. I still use make-kpkg, cause it does everything for me in just one
> command.
>
> > But I get errors the end of which is below.  I tried to copy and paste
> > all the error reports that Konsole gave me, but could not manage it.
> > Advice, please!
>
> […]
>
> > <quote>
> > tar: linux-source-3.2/sound/firewire/Makefile: Cannot open: No such
> > file or directory
>
> […]
>
> > lisi@Titan:/usr/src$
> > </quote>
>
> Turned out to be a permissions problem.
>
> So you used your regular user to compile the kernel.
>
> But a deprecated place for it. Just compile the kernel from a directory in
> your home directory.
>
> See also:
>
> http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

Thanks, Martin.  Yes, I have looked at the website you refer to, and tried to
use it.  And I have the book to which you refer.  The trouble is, that for
the basic stuff they are simply above my head.  Stephen gives more
explanation and more and clearer instructions.

I shall certainly avail myself of what the book and
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ say - but shall also use Stephen's
site, which I find very useful.  So much of the documentation from which one
has to work is old - but that doesn't make it useless.  And anyway, I think
that Stephen updates his site, so it is not outdated.

But thank you for the recommendations.  Not only might I not have known them,
but future readers of the archive might not know of them.

Lisi