manually reset/load network nameser configuration only?

I have some obnoxious problem with my laptop, such that
the NerworkManager Applet sometimes gets me on wireless
or wired network ok, but somehow the nameserver doesn't
start working right, despite working fine for other computers
on the same network.

I'm wondering if there is some way to specify the nameserver
to user and reset that part of the network infrastructure?

In effect override whatever strange problem NetWork manager
sometimes has?

Thanks,
Britton