Re: [OT] debian package maintain tutorial

* On 2012 04 Nov 10:54 -0600, lina wrote:
> On Monday 05,November,2012 12:45 AM, Neal Murphy wrote:
> > *How* and *how fast* you learn don't matter. *That* you learn does.
>
> Very encouraging and inspiring.

I'm coming in late.

I wanted to learn C for years from back in the days when I started with
MS-DOS in the late 1980s.  I had a few books and bought the Borland
Turbo C++ compiler but nothing gave me a context of how it fit together.
When I started playing with Slackware Linux in 1996 the philosophy of
Linux and programming began to fit very well in my mind.  I'm not a
super C coder and I lack formal training, but I do manage to contribute
to and maintain a project that is upstream of Debian.  It is something
that I find personally rewarding.

I have found that my learning is when I find code that does something
similar to what I want to do that I can modify to what I need
complemented with the language manual.  That mimics what works for me
with mechanical and electronic things where if I can disassemble it, I
can figure it out and possibly fix a problem.  I think I didn't like
elementary school all that much because it was so little hands-on.  I
excelled in classes where hands-on work was combined with book theory.

Once you understand the process by which you learn, you can learn
anything with that approach.

- Nate