Re: swap-partition

Hi guys,

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Karl E. Jorgensen <karl.jorgensen@nice.com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 01:07:28PM +0000, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on my machine I have two HDDs with Windows, Debian and another Linux system.
> Because of the two Linux systems I have two swap partitions.
>
> As I want to remove the other Linux I want to get rid of one of the swap
> partitions.
> How can I find out which swap partition is used by Debian and by the
> other Linux, respectively?
>
> With 'df' I only see the file systems mounted e.g. / (root) and /home of
> Debian but not the swap partition.

Actually, even with two different linux installations under dual-boot,
you only need one swap partition: They can usually share :-) (unless
you do suspend-to-disk).

>From within a running Linux system, you can see the active swap
partitions/files using:

# swapon -s

or

$ cat /proc/swaps

It's also a good practice to properly set the partition types. Then, you can find the swap partition using "fdisk -l" and searching for the type "Linux swap", or 82. Assuming you're using regular partitions.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen