nouveau driver bugs (was: Advice on system purchase)

On 2012-10-30 12:53:24 -0400, Worrier Poet wrote:
> The guys developing free drivers for the Nvidia graphics cards seem to
> have a lot harder job to do, but they also seem to be up to the task.
> It's coming along slowly, but the nouveau drivers are most certainly
> working well enough for me. I also think that getting rid of the nv
> drivers (useful as they were for a while) was the best thing to do.

The nouveau driver is a bit buggy, one of the most annoying bugs
for me: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=640464

And I wonder whether

is related.

Both problems are 100% reproducible on my two machines (both having
a Nvidia card and the nouveau driver from Debian/unstable).

Unfortunately it is not possible to try the nv driver on a recent
system.