Re: Mailbox, Mysql or Folder.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
[Disclaimer: I only run a mail server for mainly personal use. I have
less than ten users on that system but the configuration is comparable
to that of the ISPMail howto].

Muhammad Yousuf Khan:

> i am working in a small company 30 to 50 users, so which one is more
> suitable for me a mailbox storage in a folder or database by keeping
> in mind stability?

I don't think there are many people (or organisations) that keep their
e-mails in relational databases. Sure, mail servers like Exchange (or
Dovecot) may have their own on-disk-format for mailboxes instead of
plain maildirs or mboxes. But they don't use MySQL (or Postgres, for
that matter).

Exchange may not use MS SQL Server, but it does use a database,
namely Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) aka JET Blue (not the
same code as JET Red, which was the old Access engine). MS
looked at moving Exchange to SQL Server, but decided not to.

AFAIK, Exchange is the only major mail server to do this.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers