[OT] Cross-posting (was: package wxmacmolplt broken)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:45:29 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:05:56PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:27:22 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>>
>> (please, don't cross-post without warning the users about it)
>
> Huh? Since when?

Since always (RFC1855¹):

"3.1.2 Mailing List Guidelines

(...)

- When sending a message to more than one mailing list, especially
if the lists are closely related, apologize for cross-posting."

There is nothing bad with this act "per se" (unless you do abuse of it,
of course), but when you cross-post a message to many different mailing
lists, netiquette (and common sense) says you have to warn the users
about it.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
>
> "A crossposted message takes up less server storage space, and creates
> less network traffic, than if individual messages had been posted to
> multiple newsgroups."

Thanks, the full Wikipedia article (and not just the small copy/paste
chunk you sent) indeed expands, confirms and complements my POV.

> You might be confusing cross posting with multi posting; multi posting
> is frowned upon.

No, I have not confused both things.

> Besides, it is obvious in the headers whether the message is cross
> posted, the warning is hence redundant, extra typing, and therefore
> unnecessary.

Not that obvious!

Not all of us use the same kind of readers nor have the same
configuration settings nor have that information expanded in front of our
eyes.

¹http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

Greetings,

--