Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:41:37 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 09 Aug 2012 at 16:33:39 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:43:38 +0100, Brian wrote:
>>
>> > You've already provided a major reference for the discussion which
>> > has taken place on debian-devel. It included controversy (altering
>> > the status quo always does) but it really does come down to size. The
>> > first CD is not big enough to hold GNOME but I assume it will be on
>> > the first DVD. So maybe the decision was quickly made but it didn't
>> > come from nowhere.
>>
>> Well, the idea came from one mind, that's for sure :-)
>
> Really for sure? :)

Yes, but in the sense of "someone" (a human being, a person → "one" as a
pronoun) not "a single person" (→ "one" as a numeral) as you seemed to
interpret :-)

>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2012/05/msg00025.html

That post selects no specific DE, it simply enumerates a problem and
gives some alternatives. Fair.

>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/07/msg00115.html

And the same goes here.

I understand there's a new problem to solve but I also understand it has
to be discussed at some level as usual, right?
						       yet still there
>> are many questions floating in the air and not just because of the
>> decision itself but (warning, rant starts here):
>>
>> 1/ The time of the change (when freeze is already in place)
>
> Freeze exception. To accomodate GNOME or KDE on CD#1 both DEs would have
> had to be cut down. More work for maintainers and complaints from users.

There are exceptions (single packages that can be updated) and exceptions
(changes in the installer). Anyway, if the problem was detected back to
the first days of May there was enough time to have reached a solution
before the freeze took place (Wheezy was frozen in later June).

>> 2/ The nature of the change (the installer is a key piece of any OS and
>> it has to be well tested and yes, I run the installer from time to time
>> in a VM to see if there's something missing or that fails)
>
> The installer hasn't left beta-1 yet. Plenty of time left.

Oh, good. But then I wonder why people is reluctant to make another
changes in the installer like the one exposed at bug #684128 because we
are plenty of time, aren't we? >:-)

>> 3/ No feedback (there can be another alternatives to XFCE)
>
> Ratpoison?

Why not? If that's what people wants (let users decice!). There are other
options, of course.

>> > The way the artwork for Wheezy was chosen also had its critics. See
>> > the June archive for debian-desktop. The work is done by people who
>> > step forward and surveys are not necessarily going to make that
>> > happen.
>>
>> Choosing the background, banner colours "et al" and defaulting a DE
>> from the installer are not quite the same, I'd say >:-)
>
> But the process of how the decisions are made and who makes them is the
> same.

Yes, but that does not change the fact a decision (being a big change or
a small one) is wrong or badly put.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón