Re: Epson Perfection 1240U USB scanner device not found

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:20:49 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 02:31:09PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:31:08 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > But scanimage --list-devices only show my notebook camera. The
>> > notebook is a Lenovo T410. My kernel is recent 3.2 stock kernel.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what to try?
>>
>> Try running the above command as root to discard a permissions issue.
>
> Hey, it was a permissions issue!  Good guess.
>
> $ sudo scanimage --list-devices
> device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device
> device `epson2:libusb:002:008' is a Epson Perfection1240 flatbed scanner
>
> Is it a permission problem with udev or SANE or ???
>
> BTW, the scanner doesn't look like a regular /dev entry.
>
> Thanks!

I'd say this could come from udev and its rules because a default Debian
install adds your user to the "scanner" group (you can view the groups
you pertain by running "id").

If you are already on that group but still cannot scan with your user,
check if there's any rule created for your device and if so, put here the
line of reference. If there's none, maybe is that you have to add a new
one :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón