Re: Random lockups

On 04/07/12 04:11 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 13:46:56 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

On 04/07/12 01:12 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:10:24 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

My desktop running Debian Sid just locked up for the 4th or 5th time
recently.

Can you still login from ssh? If so, X is crashing.

    Yes, but nothing works

    The kernel is fine - I **believe** it's X that is chasing its tail :)

     fbdev **seems** to run fine - except the mouse
cursor disappears at random.

Ugh. But the issue with the screen freeze and the yellow text is not
present with this driver, right?

  Didn't run it long enough to determine that.

Found it too annoying so went back to the Intel driver...and it hasn't
locked up yet today (crossed-fingers).

Maybe an update in the middle? :-?

  Nope...same driver

      I am running an Intel D865GBF board, and Intel on-board video.

That's an old motherboard, right? :-?

    Yes, about 5 or 6 years old...but from prowling the net it seems
newer Intel boards aren't much better. I'd still like to hear advice on
the best/easiest video card to run. I ran Nvidia for a while but got
tired of constantly recompiling whenever a new kernel popped up. I'd
like something other than Nvidia.

nVidia would be my personal choice but true is that when using sid the
problem with the driver can be a headache because of the constant kernel
updates (unless you can use module assistant or can be happy with
nouveau, the open source driver).

Maybe Nvidia is really the only choice...but this time I'll start off with Nouveau and see how it runs

Anyway, I wouldn't give up with your current system. If finally is X that
freezes, you can open a bug report or test with a different driver
version (either downgrade from the current one or try to get the lastest
from upstream sources).

  I have a look at upstream bugs.

   Thanks
--