Re: cannot upgrade or remove multipath-tools

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:22:17 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> * Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120704 10:51]:

(...)

>> > Command failed
>> > invoke-rc.d: initscript multipath-tools, action "stop" failed.
>>
>> Could it be because of this?

> Yes, I was looking at that last night after emailing the list:

(...)

> I tried what I think is being suggested here, changing the first line of
> /etc/init.d/multipath-tools to "#!/bin/sh -e", but still get "...package
> failed to install" when trying to upgrade multipath-tools, and this when
> running "multipath-tools stop" manually:
>
>     # /etc/init.d/multipath-tools stop
>     Device does not exist.
>     Command failed

After editing the boot script I guess the service should be restarted
again to reflect the changes so that when it's stopped it does not fail.

> I did notice however this morning that `aptitude upgrade` does not try
> to upgrade multipath-tools. A dist-upgrade does still want to upgrade
> this package -- as did a regular upgrade as recently as yesterday. But
> now for some reason I can do a regular upgrade without the complaining
> brought on by multipath-tools.

You can try "dist-upgrading" again once you have edited the init script
and daemon has been restarted. Or you can also take a more practical
approach and manually download the updated deb package (0.4.9
+git0.4dfdaf2b-6) and copy/paste the init script or look for the
differences :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón