Re: Random lockups

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 13:46:56 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On 04/07/12 01:12 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:10:24 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>>> My desktop running Debian Sid just locked up for the 4th or 5th time
>>> recently.
>>>
>>>      There is nothing is the syslog...nothing in the xorg log. The
>>>      system
>>> just locks changing what's on the screen to yellow tinged text. It
>>> locks so tight that only a hard reset gets it back. Alt-SysReq does
>>> nothing.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Can you still login from ssh? If so, X is crashing.
>

>    Yes, but nothing works

What do you mean by that? :-?

Sure you can't get a full-featured environment when login from remote but
the fact the kernel is still "alive" (accepting logins, network up...) it
points to a less severe problem (xserver-xorg?).

>> Also, if you can, try to load "vesa" or "fb" VGA driver instead
>> "intel", although with KMS in place I don't know if this is still
>> possible neither the steps to proceed.
>

>     I have done that - fbdev **seems** to run fine - except the mouse
> cursor disappears at random.

Ugh. But the issue with the screen freeze and the yellow text is not
present with this driver, right?

> Found it too annoying so went back to the Intel driver...and it hasn't
> locked up yet today (crossed-fingers).

Maybe an update in the middle? :-?

> The Vesa driver is next to useless as it really doesn't like doing
> anything more than  800x600.

Yes, I know, the plain VGA drivers are close to useless nowadays but they
still serve for testing purposes like this situation :-)

>>>      I am running an Intel D865GBF board, and Intel on-board video.
>>
>> That's an old motherboard, right? :-?
>

>    Yes, about 5 or 6 years old...but from prowling the net it seems
> newer Intel boards aren't much better. I'd still like to hear advice on
> the best/easiest video card to run. I ran Nvidia for a while but got
> tired of constantly recompiling whenever a new kernel popped up. I'd
> like something other than Nvidia.

nVidia would be my personal choice but true is that when using sid the
problem with the driver can be a headache because of the constant kernel
updates (unless you can use module assistant or can be happy with
nouveau, the open source driver).

Other than nVidia there are ATI (which I don't like so much) and Matrox
(but these cards are currently out of the 3D market and I don't know
about their current linux support...).

Anyway, I wouldn't give up with your current system. If finally is X that
freezes, you can open a bug report or test with a different driver
version (either downgrade from the current one or try to get the lastest
from upstream sources).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón