Re: Very slow network with certain APs -- ipv6 problem?

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 16:10:46 -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

> Since the "official" switch to IPv6 I've been having serious problems
> with certain wireless APs. Some are unchanged, but others are very, very
> sloooow for no detectable reason. Yet, the same APs are just as easily
> accessible as always with a Windows machine. Could there be a problem
> caused by not updating for the change to IPv6?

You mean you're still using ipv4 with no ipv6 support from the OS at all?

> Something that Windows would detect and adjust for automatically? Is
> there some simple way to make my Linux system use IPv4 again with only
> those certain APs?

To discard a problem coming from the ipv6 stack, you can try to disable/
enable it system wide and check if the issue with the AP is still present
or not.

Some tips to turn it off:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6#How_to_turn_off_IPv6

Anyway, my wild guess is that the problem with the AP can be because of
the driver or another environmental or configuration factors. What's your
wifi adapter and what driver are you using? When you say is "slow" what
are the exact symtoms you experience (e.g., random reconnects, download/
upload speed is not as expected, lazy AP -it takes so long to get
associated with your computer-...)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón