----- Original Message -----
Sent: 6/12/2012 4:12:28 PM
Subject: Update Manager
Running Debian Stable with Gnome. Today I attempted to due a regular update using update manager.
1. System seemed to boot normally
2. Root authorization of the update manager normal
3. Message "A fatal error has been detected in the update manager-do you want to submit a bug report"?
4. If I select NO the update manager closes (of course without the update). Other applications seem normal
5. If I select YES a dialog box opens with Starting Update Manager-reading package lists
6. At this point this application hangs-I cannot close it without a boot and ps does not report its existance.
Responding to my own post. Digging a bit further I see that Loki must have snuck in on an open USB port and somehow added some clearly unwanted volatile repository entries to my sources.list. Sorry for the noise.