wheezy: ext4 or ext3

Hi list,

I am now a proud user of a ssd drive. As I cloned my system (which was
installed 5 years ago) to the drive, the filesystem on the source drive is
ext3.

On my new drive I chose ext4 (with luks encryption) for as far as I read, most
people are using ext4 instead of ext3 on ssd drives.
Is this really recommended?

And if yes, should I change the filesystem from ext3 to ext4 on my old spin
drive? I think, this can be done with tune2fs (when I remember correctly),
without any loss of data. If I am wrong, please point me to the correct tool.

Most important thing for me is speed and security, and, of course, lifetime of
the ssd is also important. I added noatime and discard to /etc/fstab, hope
this is correct.

Just a last question: During installation, I forgot, how I formatted the "/"
partition (ext3 or ext4?). Is there a way, to find out, how it is formatted?
Strangely, the option "discard" in /etc/fstab seem not to work on this
particular partition.

Thanks for any help!

Best regards

Hans