Re: about java and wheezy

Gary Dale <garydale <at> rogers.com> writes:

> On 13/05/12 01:28 PM, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Installation of openjdk-6-jdk in wheezy i386 would lead to deletion of
> > much gnome, including openoffice, with reinstallation of gnome and
> > abiword, but not of openoffice/libreoffice, if I understand.
> > Otherwise, java is often useful.
> >
> > Any suggestion about?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > francesco pietra
> >

> OpenOffice is usually not in a modern disto like Wheezy. Instead it uses
> LibreOffice. I have LibreOffice and openjdk working fine in Wheezy with
> or without Gnome (I normally use KDE but installed Gnome to try it out
> and to use when KDE gives me problems in Wheezy).
>
> If openjdk is replacing a different jdk, it could be that the
> removal/reinstallation is really updating the jdk setup and links.

In answer to all who kindly considered the matter.

I was to quick in posting. Having upgraded from squeeze to wheezy i386 I ha such
troubles. Then , wanting emacs gchempaint, and pieces of kde (okular k3b), gnome
2 was updated to gnome3, which I did not know.

I could install libreoffice, true firefox (avoiding iceweasel which does not
support google fully and, more importantly, some of my connections to servers)
and openjdk-6-jdk (now without any deletion).

However, although firefox is set to java, java does not work in running common
molecular applications (movies). Is any independent test of such installation of
java available? Which outputs should I show in order to get help?

Thanks

chiendarret