Re: Wheezy: Can only play ogv video

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 01:20:21AM -0700, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Thu, 5/10/12, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
>
> > I just use vlc, mplayer, and w32codecs.
> > With those three it seems I can play anything.
> > In fact, vlc alone is probably enough.
>
> VLC alone didn't work for me, I don't remember if I tried ogv but MP4s didn't play for sure. What phonon-backend are you using, if any? What package are w32codecs in?
>
> Thanks

w32codecs are in non-free/w32codecs IIRC.
"Phonon backend" is a kde thing, no kde here.

Another thing that works is go to the mplayer homepage and download one
of the codecs packages, extract the codecs, and put them in
/usr/lib/codecs (create it if it doesn't exist).
Then install mplayer.

It just occurred to me I have the debian-multimedia sources in /etc/apt/
sources.list, too:
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
Probably a good idea...
HTH!