Re: [not sure if OT] empty DVD menus with k9copy and devede

On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:33:07 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 May 2012 12:45:41 Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > Only later I realized that all my DVDs, which I "produced" since
>> > then, using devede and k9copy have empty menus. That means: the
>> > menufile plays in a way that I can see the progess-bar e.g. in
>> > Kaffeine but the menu does not show up so I can't chose a video nor
>> > can I make use of those DVDs on an ordinary DVD- player.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> This is just an idea... To discard a problem coming from your backed /
>> home profile, try by launching the mentioned programs from a fresh new
>> user account to check if you are still getting the same behaviour.
>
> I didn't think that the profile has anything to do with it but followed
> your advice anyway. For what it's worth I experienced strange behaviour
> because of botched profiles before. But no luck, same problem with a new
> user with default settings.

Then maybe is that something have changed in between. I mean, are you
using the same versions of "k9copy" and "devede" that you were using
before you reinstalled the system? :-?

> Right now I'm trying on another box with the same Wheezy installation.
> If it works there, I shall have something to work on and to analyze the
> differences.

Yes, good point. Regardless the result at least you'll can grab some
conclusions.

>> > Which program are both k9copy and devede using to produce the
>> > menu-file. Isn't it dvdauthor?
>>
>> Well, both "k9copy" and "devede" require "dvdauthor" to be installed
>> (at least that's so for D-M packages) so I guess yes.

> Weird, because dvdauthor has not been updated around that time. (???) It
> is still the same version as before the harddisk swap.

Well, "dvdauthor" is one of the pieces of the chain but the problem can
be located elsehwere (e.g., "deveve" can be generating bad/corrupted
projects that render the menus unusuable).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón