Re: Does anyone care about dialup?

On Tue, May 8, 2012 01:16, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> Why is it so difficult to get dialup to work in Linux? It has been this
> way for many years, too. I tried a different distro in 1996 when dialup
> modems were still the main means of Internet access  for most home users,
> and it was painfully difficult then, as well.

I still use - kind of - dialup today. The usb 3g modem is used like a
dialup modem, and vwdial is the way to go.

I think I used vwdial back in the '90s but I'm not sure. It was not hard
then, and not hard now.

I had a LAN back then, and a linux machine dialing up every hour, sending
pending emails and downloading incoming using fetchmail. Life was quite
similar to what it is now, email wise.