Re: How Does One Re-run write_cd_rules

On Sat, 05 May 2012 22:00:18 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

> This system started out as lenny in 2009 and I just upgraded to squeeze.
> Most of the system is fine but I have lost both CDROM's which used to be
> /media/cdrom0 and /media/cdrom1.

What does dmesg say? Are they still detected at sr0/sr1?

> I didn't help anything when I accidently left a usb drive installed so
> it looks like the thing to do is clean out /etc/udev/rules.d of 70
> -persistent-cd.rules and start over minus the usb drive in the hopes
> that I can modify the rules to get the CDROM's back.

Mmmm, I'm not sure if that will work. Anyway, you can move the file
elsewhere and let udev does its way.

> 	There is a executable file in /lib/udev called write_cd_rules
> but I can't seem to find what calls it or what $DEVPATH value it needs
> to run properly.

Well, the rules should be located at:

/lib/udev/rules.d/75-cd-aliases-generator.rules

And ant the top of the file it can be read:

# These rules generate rules for the /dev/{cdrom,dvd,...} symlinks and
# write them to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.

> 	Documentation as to how all this goes together is also
> lacking. Google searches produce about ten-quadrillian hits of which
> precisely one is relevant but described a similar situation in fedora
> and the suggested fix didn't work, here, and all the rest are just hits
> on copies of write_cd_rules and the generator rules file that
> write_cd_rules uses when one runs it.
>
> 	Is there a way to re-run it and produce new files that
> can be used as a starting point?

There's a nice doc at Debian wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/udev

Greetings,