Re: Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 16:55, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
On 16/04/12 16:50, Rob Owens wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:13:36PM +0100, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
On 16/04/12 15:00, Dom wrote:
On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the
computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:
[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully
initialized
and connected.
[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver
dvb_usb_dib0700

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?

With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device
and
mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the
same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device
directly.

Under what circumstances does "1" on my keyboard correspond to "1" on a
remote?

When the remote is treated as an IR keyboard by the driver, which is either done by the native driver or by the lirc package.

I can start up any app (xterm for example) and press "1" on my remote and a 1 appears in the app.

Unfortunately I don't have the USB stick that you have, and don't know which Debian release you're running (I'm on Wheezy/testing), so I can't test your particular situation.

I have liblircclient0 installed
 LIRC stands for 'Linux Infra-red Remote Control'.
 .
 This package provides a library with functions to support remote
 controls via LIRC in programs such as xawtv.

I believe the relevant lines from my dmesg are:
[    6.509665] IR MCE Keyboard/mouse protocol handler initialized
[    6.573084] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 251
[

--
Dom