Re: Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 14:20, Indulekha wrote:
In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
     the stick
     a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
     a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:

--------------8<  snip snip>8--------------------

As you can see, the Nova-T stick was recognised by the kernel and an IR
Remote Control driver registered. Unfortunately, I have not received a
remote control.

I have a number of questions:-
    1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?
    2. What do I have to do to get TV reception?
    3. Do I have to buy any more hardware? eg, should I buy the device
new so that I get all the relevant h/w?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have no experience with the Nova-T, but google found this
on the first try:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-Stick
Yes, I've read that web page, but it does not help me.
I've tried Kaffeine and VLC, but neither of them produces any TV input.
Kaffeine does have the option for digital TV, but I have not been able
to get any TV data.

xbmc does not have any TV input: it does not recognise the Nova-T as input. Futhermore, I do not understand MythTV setup. I have not been
able to install the mythtv MySQL initial file because I'm denied access
to the MySQL database.

This is all very confusing. In the first instance, I'd simply like to
watch TV on my Linux PC without sophisticated DVR functions. Can anybody help me?

Regards
--
Sian Mountbatten