Re: encrypted root - change keyboard layout

03/03/2012 01:30, Matthias Weiler wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> As the subject suggests: I've encrypted my root partition with a super
> secret passphrase. The problem is that there is one character that I
> don't know how to enter with the english keyboard layout.
>
> I get to the (initramfs) prompt. What can I do from there on?
>
> I've checked Debian Wiki [0], Arch Wiki [1] and Stackexchange [2] but
> they didn't help altogether. I don't have dpkg-reconfigure or
> initramfs.conf.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> greetins
> Matthias
>
> [0] http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#Set_Keyboard_Layout_in_initramfs
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_Encryption_with_LUKS
> [2]
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/15955/how-to-set-keyboard-layout-used-to-enter-password-on-an-encrypted-filesystem

Hi, the steps you are looking at are only effective when in the system,
then after doing the appropriate changes you can rebuild an initramfs
which will include whatever key-map you've chosen.
Now, as per changing key-map from the busybox prompt itself I don't
think it's possible (but I may very well be wrong here), and even if
busybox had the equivalent of the "loadkeys" command you're only going
to have access to whatever key-maps are included, there may not be any
outside the default one...

You can print yourself a qwerty US keymap (or use another computer or
phone on-screen keyboard) as a guide, or start from a live-cd, unlock
and mount your system partition (bind mount /dev,/sys,/proc and mount
/boot if it's a separate partition) chroot on it and rebuild initramfs
after setting up options to include the appropriate key-map.